Thursday, January 21, 2010

Rain and Rings

Monsoon season in Northern California and I am out in the middle of it. I've got a meeting at the far end of town. First I find a parking space and trek through the rain. I wore inappropriate shoes, I don't have any other kind of shoes. I don't actually own a single pair of waterproof shoes...
Meeting.
Late.
... and we break before a run through
... back to the car with the winds blowing water into my face...

I had two shopping errands to run on the other end of the city, over the hills and through the Presidio... and driving in this downpour contributes to both a lack of visibility and the increased asshole levels of everybody driving.

My first stop was easy enough, we had ordered a wig, I picked it up... easy.

Second stop was to the more popular end of the Haight Asbury...
and I stop at the cheesy jewelry store... I am on a quest for a size 4 (TINY) ring. I have one hour to find said ring and make it back across town, through the Presidio, over the hill and across the rain swept plains (well parking lot). I must face the cranky shop keeper who doesn't understand why I would want a size 4 ring. He glares at me as though I'm about to shoplift his valuable $8.99 earrings and $9.99 rings... I tell him "I'm looking for a size 4 ring that looks like an engagement ring" he "helps" me by pulling out the tray with the giant glittery butterflies and swirly glass rings. --thanks dude-- 1/2 an hour later I've looked through half of his stock and I've found exactly two rings that look vaguely like wedding rings in a size four... this is the one I chose;



...maybe a little tacky but this character also wears a pink velour sweat suit so I figure it's ok.
I braved back across the city,
Run-through rehearsal.
Back across the bridge
... just enough time to grab a banana and set up for dress rehearsal...

It's been a long 6 hours of rehearsal and driving and I'm rather soaked from the toes to the knees.

I hand the ring to the actress...

she scrunches up her little face...
"um... I'm not gonna wear this, it's ugly"

There is a word in my head right now and it rhymes with "kitsch".

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

About that time the middle schooler gets the 'this is not all about YOU' lecture followed with the costume goddess thing. So they DON'T grow up? Sad. Mom

Unknown said...

I watched this same actress rip apart her lanyard to insert another photo of herself, because "This photo? NOT ACCEPTABLE." Umm..no one can see your photo, and also? Do you have any idea what a pain in the ass it is to make this stuff for you people?

Sigh...We'll have to console ourselves with whiskey. And silent kitschy acting notes in our heads. :)

Unknown said...

Bugger. Just found out you made that - extra super kitchy comments now :(